1939-1940 New 14/4-17
1941 Updated 26/12-16
1942 Updated 22/3-17
1943 Updated 5/5-17
1944 Updated 20/4-17
1945 Updated 13/3-17
1940 Updated 29/5-16
1943 Updated 13/10-16
1944 Updated 12/5-17
1945 Updated 24/4-16
Books New Book by Steve Smith
site by entering search words:
Blenheim IV L8864 crashed in the North Sea off Thyborøn
The aircraft belonged to RAF 18 Sqn. Bomber Command and was coded WV-W
T/o 05:50 Oulton. OP: Anti Shipping.
Together with five more Blenheims L8864 was on a anti shipping operation off the
Danish west coast.
At 08:10 L8864 and two more aircrafts attacked Battery Agger
and the German ship “Wall 11” from 50 meters height without doing any damage to
any of them.
While attacking Battery Agger the aircraft was hit in the right
hand engine and started burning. It turned towards south west while under
maschine gun fire from Fliegerwache I./336 Thyborøn. L8864 now dropped 7 bombs
near Flugsicherungsboote “Wall 11” and then crashed into the sea 30 metres from
the beach near Groyne no. 49.
W/Op Sgt C.N. Harris was picked up from the sea by
a Danish fishingboat and brought to Thyborøn. He was only slightly wounded and
was sent to Dulag Luft in Oberursel near Frankfurt. After being interrogated he
was send to Stalag VIIIB Lamsdorf and later to Stalag Luft VI Heydekrug. At the
end of war he was found in camp 357 Fallingbostel.
The body of Pilot Sgt Frank
Wood was picked up from the sea and taken to Rom airfield. He had died from a
shot thru the head and was laid to rest in Lemvig cemetery on 27/5-1941, the
parish minister Rev. J. Bendsen officiating at the graveside ceremony.
Sgt. Ernest G. Baker was found drifted ashore near Thyborøn Groyne no. 53 in
Knopper beach area by Receiver of wrecks Jens Christian Madsen Toft on 20/6.
This was reported to the German Commander in Thyborøn Oberleutnant Linnemann,
who arranged for the body to be taken to Rom airfield. On 21/6-1941
laid to rest in Lemvig cemetery. Also on this day the Rev. J. Bendsen officiated
at the graveside ceremony.
On 30/5 the wreck of L8864 was brought to Thisted by a German ship.
The remains of Blenheim IV L8864
Sources : KT, AD, BCL,FAF, LBUK WD, OLCB.
Back to 1941
Top of page