1939-1940 Updated 22/7-17
1941 Updated 26/12-16
1942 Updated 22/3-17
1943 Updated 16/6-17
1944 Updated 22/7-17
1945 Updated 13/3-17
1940 Updated 6/6-17
1943 Updated 13/10-16
1944 Updated 12/5-17
1945 Updated 30/5-17
Books New Book by Steve Smith
site by entering search words:
Hampden I AE288 crashed in the tidal waters east of the
island of Mandø 9/5-1942.
The aircraft belonged to RCAF (RAF) 408 Sqn. Bomber Command and was coded EQ-H.
T/o 21:24 Balderton OP: Warnemünde.
On the return flight back to base 1.M.FlakA.204 (Leichte Flakbatterie) and
1./lei.Flakabt.836 and 2./lei.Flakabt.844 (Both Luftwaffe) based near Esbjerg
opened fire and AE288 was hit. At 02:26 hours the aircraft crashed into the
tidal waters at Hviding Nakke east of the southern point of the island of Mandø.
Personnel from the Wehrmacht were seen at the wreck at 05:30 hours in the
morning when four dead flyers were observed in the wreck.
In the afternoon the Wehrmacht were at the crash site again but still no attempt was made to recover
On Sunday 10/5 Receiver of Wrecks Hans Jørgensen, Mandø and Carl
Petersen retrieved a body from the wreck and brought it to Mandø.
On the same
day a body was found on Korresand 8 kilometres to the south west of Mandø. It
was taken to Mandø and was identified as being Navigator/Air Observer F/Sgt
Marcel S. Sinclair.
On 11/5 Receiver of Wrecks Hans Jørgensen, Mandø
and Carl Petersen together with Comstable Hansen
retrieved the last body from the wreck
and brought it to Mandø.
The two flyers retrieved from the wreck were W/Op-Air Gnr. Sgt Clifford S. Jeffries and W/Op-Air Gnr. Sgt Herbert F. Stroud.
flyers were laid in coffins on the island and taken to Esbjerg where they were
laid to rest in Fourfelt cemetery on 16/5-42.
On 4/7 Receiver of wrecks
Christian Møller found the body of Pilot F/Sgt James S. Norton washed ashore on
Bollerstrand on the island of Rømø and brought it to Kongsmark. Norton was laid
to rest in Fouvrfelt cemetery in Esbjerg on 8/7-1942.
Kilder : RL, LBUK, BCL, T-501, UA, Theodor Hansen, Esbjerg, Vestkysten
Back to 1942
Top of page