Airwar over Denmark

Airwar over Denmark

 By Søren C. Flensted


1939-1940 Updated 21/7-20
1941 Updated 7/6-19
1942 Updated 27/7-21
1943 Updated 22/7-21
1944 Updated 27/7-21
1945 Updated 16/8-21

1940 New 22/7-21
1941 New 23/7-21
1942 Updated 10/5-18
1943 Updated 2/7-21
1944 Updated 16/8-21
1945 Updated 16/8-21

Books  New Book by Steve Smith

Search this site by entering search words:

powered by FreeFind

Storck Fi 156C-3 serial number 5446 crashed on the island of Læsø 9/2 1942.

The aircraft belonged to Luftdienst Kommando 64 and was coded PP+QG.
T/o Aalborg Ost Op: Postal service.

Pilot Oberfeldwebel Weinbech was on a mail service flight to Vesterø on the island of Læsø. When he arrived over Vesterø he was not able to find the landing ground as it had not been marked. This was due to the garrison on the island not being informed about the flight. Weinbech circled the Vesterø area and at 10:30 hours he attempted a landing on the Kirkevejen road 1½ kilometre south of the Vesterø harbour.

After having stayed on the road for a little while the right wheel ran down in a ditch on the right hand side of the road. The left wing hit the ground and broke. As did the left landing gear and the propeller.


                     (Via Vesterø Lokalarkiv)

Weinbech was unharmed. He was taken to the local telephone exchange in Vesterø from where he called Aalborg Ost and Frederikshavn. Also the German garrison in Byrum was informed. For reasons unknown no one thought about guarding the Storck and a number of Danish kids and grown ups “studied” it so closely that it received more damage to the fuselage and lightning.

On 11/2 Prüfmeister Wolfrath and Aircraft mechanic Thielemann was flown to the island to dismantle the aircraft and load it on a truck for transport to Vesterø where it was temporarily stored in a garage to await transport to Frederikshavn and Aalborg.

On 12/2 Leutnant Schmidt arrived in Vesterø by aircraft to survey the aircraft. He called on the local Police Constable and reported that damage had been done to the aircraft by Danes after landing.

The Wehrmacht called it sabotage and several Danish police officers were flown to the island to research the matter. When the police had examined those Danes and Germans involved the case, The Wehrmacht decided to consider it as boyish prank and closed the case.


Sources: RL 2 III/773, AS 51-86.


Back to 1942

Top of page
Top of page


  Copyright  ©  Søren C. Flensted 2004 - 2021